Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Doctor's Office

Just saying the words Doctor's office makes my stomach knot up a little. It is not on the top of the list of my favorite mommy duties, that is for sure. So yesterday it was Andrew's turn to go in for his 6 month check up. Can you believe it? 6 months already? Well it was a crazy visit. His appointment was at 3:30. We sat in the waiting room until nearly five. We were then brought into the small dr's room, to wait again. Fun times already!

The nurse came in and did weight (he is 18 lbs.!! HUGE BABY) and all the stuff they do including list of questions to ask. She ran through her questions and asked if he could sit up on his own for a few seconds, to which I responded No, He pretty much falls straight over and then I proceeded to sit him up to show her. First of all, she really did not care! It was way too late on a Friday afternoon, but then what did he do. He put his little, chubby, dimply hands on his legs and he sat up for about 5 seconds. Are you kidding me? These are the types of experiences I have with baby number 3. I really do play with him, although not knowing he can sit up is kind of a big deal. Poor guy!

Finally at 6:00, our Dr. entered. Now he is a great doctor, but he is one of those people that he is so smart that he is a little eccentric. With it being 6:00 on a Friday, he was a little off (even for him). He did his little exam and made a few strange comments (which I have grown to expect from him), but this time I think he was exhausted and he forgot to sensor some of them. He told me "I know what a normal baby looks like and I know what a normal adult looks like, I just hope this one doesn't make you crazy in the process of getting from one to the other?" Now what is that comment designed to do? Is that supposed to encourage me? Then a few minutes later he looked at Andrew and said "Now, that is a big head" to which I replied "Did you just say my baby had a big head?". I could not help but laugh. I was so surprised that he said that. It is a good thing that I am not all that easily offended, but I was shocked. Now for those of you who are nodding in agreement that Andrew has a big head I will have you know that he checked it and it is in the 25th percentile, while his weight and length are both 50th percentile. So actually he has small head.

After this adventure at the dr's office we finally left and I got home about 6:30. I really did not feel all that frustrated, but something happened to me when I walked in the door. We were supposed to run an errand that I really did not want to run and I walked in the door to find everyone, but me having some type of enjoyable day and none of them were ready to go. Something in my composed, got it together self snapped and I turned into mean mommy. Rushing the kids around to get dressed and shoes on, sighing in frustration, and getting them in the car. Then I proceeded to whine and complain for about 5 minutes. Finally, I just shut my mouth and closed my eyes until I could regain control. I have actually used the old phrase if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all with my kids. Many times it is mommy that needs the refresher. Thankfully my kids and my husband are quick to forgive and the whole evening was not a total disaster.

No comments: