Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Back Home

We made it back to the good ole US of A late Friday night after a wonderful week in Mexico! The trip was fantastic! The kids have already asked to go back to Mexico. I have so much to process and so much I want to share with you all. I have at least 250 pictures to sort through and as I get more time I will eagerly share some of my favorites. The Lord was so faithful and we had no problems crossing the border and a safe trip. The entire team meshed well together and it was a wonderful opportunity to get know a few other families. We even met a family that literally lives blocks from our house. Our family stayed healthy other than some minor car sickness for Rebecca and the kids slept fabulously! Both Aidan and Rebecca made friends with older American kiddos who were able to help keep an eye on them for us.

I did struggle a little with the fact that I was not able to help out all that much with some of the general duties. Having such small kids meant that at most of the cleaning and meal prep times I was busy with them and so I could not help out. Plus I had to ask for help when Trace was not around so I could do some of the fun things like, oh, I don't know... take a shower, use the bathroom, you know those type of things. It was a bit of an adjustment to me to have to accept help like that and be able to offer so little. Being independent and self sufficient has been ingrained in my being and that is a hard thing to change, but it was good for me to be stretched this way, I was just a little surprised by it.

I also left Mexico with a strong desire to learn how to speak Spanish. I have never wanted to learn a foreign language, I just never considered myself to be that cultured. But there is a strong possibility that we will go back to Mexico next year and I am determined to be able to communicate better with the kids and adults that cross my path. I found an online class through a local community college that starts Wednesday and I am seriously thinking about enrolling.

Well, I just wanted to check in and let you know how much I appreciate all the prayer over the past few weeks. The Lord was so faithful and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I think the thing that surprised me the most is how refreshing the week was. I expected to come home exhausted and beaten down, but I did not have that experience. I feel rested. I feel so much more energized by this trip than I ever have from any vacation. I was truly blessed to get to be a part of this trip. I will update you on the details in the near future.

***And on a totally unrelated note I have to share that there is this amazing pizza place out here that just opened. It has a huge indoor play place and a game room. We went out for BBQ tonight at the small family owned place out here and it was closed because they are on vacation (see what I mean by small family owned place) so we went across the street to Texas Pizza. The pizza was good and they serve salad, lasagna, chk spaghetti, and buffalo wings on the buffet also. There isn't much out this way that is better than what you can get in town, but I think this may just be the best Pizza place in the area. Come check it out and let us know when you do...we'll meet you for dinner.

3 comments:

Hannah E. said...

YAY!!! Can't wait to hear everything!!!!!

Shannon said...

Your kiddos were absolutely precious on this trip (the parents, too!) ... two of my fond memories are the poop change! and rocking of Andrew to sleep :)! Hey ... send me the class info. Is Trace going, too?

Hannah E. said...

I tagged you, by the way. Check it out on my blog.