Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

A Sweet Shower for a Sweet Friend

Last weekend I got to help host a baby shower for my sweet friend Meridith. It was so much fun. I have known Meridith for a long time, since first grade maybe? I know that I knew her in third grade because I attempted to kick her out of the talent show dance that me and some other girls were making up. Oh ya, I was mean like that in the third grade. No good reason, just plain mean. As you can tell our friendship has endured many trials over the years. We try to avoid the talent show competition conversation, but I think we have moved beyond that. Right Meridith? Anyways, she is pregnant with her first baby. A sweet baby boy should arrive soon. It is so fun to see my childhood friends finally joining me on the motherhood adventure (oh, how I kid).

This shower was super fun because the hostesses were long time friends. I don't necessarily talk to them all that often, but we are able to just pick right back up. Those types of friendships are so great and comfortable. They are also rare and I think they are a beautiful picture of unconditional love. Despite life, differences, and conflict, these relationships remain. Thanks girls for being that in my life! I think you are all fabulous!

Well, I did want to just write a bit about my girls but I also wanted to share with you some of what we did at the shower. It was one of my favorite showers to be a part of and so I thought I would share the ideas and maybe you can use them one day too.

We painted bibs, burp cloths, and onesies. Allison came up with the idea and I think it is precious. She made this sheet to be suggestions for people and then we each got to paint something.


Here are a few of the pictures of the work that was done. Allison painted the Longhorn and I was glad because Meridith is a Texas graduate and a HUGE fan. I told Allison it was the first thing I thought to do for her but that my allegiance to Texas Tech wouldn't let me.

I did this one:

Here are a few more:


Aren't they cute? Are you adding this to your shower idea list yet? Too bad I can't take credit for the idea, but I love it and I have every intention of stealing it.

Here is a picture of a group of us girls:

The Allison I referred to above is the brunette on the left. She and her husband own the local Smoothie Kings (go buy a smoothie from them!). She and I used to get chased by dogs on a regular basis when we were growing up. We lived in the same neighborhood as kids. She is super sweet. When we were wrapping everything up she made the comment that we are great to throw a shower with and I replied by telling her she was great, because she does almost all the work and pretty frugally! Thanks Allison.

Then there is Stephany who is soon to married! Congratulations Steph!

Allison in the blond is in the middle next to me. Our friendship doesn't go back quite as far (which may be a good thing since I was a little nicer maybe), but we have known each other since junior high. She is my friend that I asked you all to pray for when she lost her baby nearly a year ago and yes if you can tell that is a pregnancy bump under that shirt! Words cannot express how happy I am for her! She has been through so much and she just keeps pressing on! I love her and am thankful to be a part of her life.

Meridith is the pregnant girl next to Allison. I am so excited for her and I can't wait to meet Riley. So fun to see her become a mama! It was fabulous to see her for the shower and even better to grab a cup of Joe after the shower and chat. I can't wait to hear how this baby rocks her world. It will be in a good way, but these kiddos have such a tendency to shake things up a bit! Praying for you and baby to have a healthy delivery!

Then there is Kim with red hair. She is the next one we plan to be throwing a baby shower for...right, some day soon?

And last is Lisa. Lisa is a mom of two sweet girls and everyone agrees she is so fun to be around. I'm just not around her often enough.

This is the letter that I made for Riley's room. These are so cheap, easy, and a great baby shower gift. They are made out of a premade letter at a craft store, scrapbook paper, and modge podge. I actually get to finish the rest of the name and Meridith will use them in the room. What a fun project for me!


Girls, we really don't do this enough? Why does there have to be a special occasion to get together? We should do better.

2 comments:

sondra german said...

yall are all such dolls! say hello to boney, jones, and meridith for me, please! the pregnant people are so adorable!

Melissa said...

What a fun shower! I love the idea of making things while you are there...so cute!

Thanks for introducing all of your friends, it feels like I know them now! :D

Melissa :D

PS: I think it's your letter decorations that brought me to your blog! How funny!